Here are 5 tips for parents on keeping kids safe from lead-tainted water in schools:
1. Pack water run through a filter certified to reduce lead by the NSF International or Water Quality Association (WQA) in a water bottle for your child every day.
2. Ask the school principal whether the drinking water has been tested for lead and ask for lead test results.
3. Advocate that your school or the school district install NSF International or WQA certified filters to remove lead from drinking water fountains and taps.
4. Spread the word about safe water concerns by talking to your child’s teacher, the school nurse, and your parent-teacher organization.
5. Talk to your pediatrician about your concerns regarding lead in drinking water—let her or him know that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that school drinking water should not contain more than 1 part per billion (ppb) of lead.
Core 360 Home Inspections provides inspection services to Northern & Central New Jersey. If you’re buying or selling a home, contact us to request an appointment.