Every homeowner should be armed with a set of basic tools to handle common issues that arise in the home. This guide lists 15 of the most indispensable tools, though it’s not an all-inclusive list. During your next home inspection, feel free to seek advice on other useful tools.
- Plunger: For unclogging sinks and toilets, keep a plunger handy. Ideally, have separate plungers for the sink and toilet.
- Combination Wrench Set: Featuring both open and closed ends, these wrenches cater to standard and metric sizes. Remember to pull the wrench towards you and avoid over-tightening.
- Slip-Joint Pliers: A versatile tool that adjusts to grip various objects, from nails to bolts.
- Adjustable Wrench: Useful when two wrenches of the same size are needed. Ensure the jaws are tight to prevent damage.
- Caulking Gun: Essential for sealing cracks and gaps. Ensure surfaces are clean and dry before applying caulk.
- Flashlight: Illuminate and inspect your work area with a reliable flashlight. A standard two-battery light usually suffices.
- Tape Measure: A 25-foot tape measure is recommended for household projects. Double-check measurements for accuracy.
- Hacksaw: Perfect for cutting metal items. Invest in a sturdy frame as blades are replaceable.
- Torpedo Level: Ensure objects are horizontally, vertically, or at a 45-degree angle aligned. The bubble indicator should be centered.
- Safety Glasses/Goggles: Protect your eyes during hammering, drilling, or while handling chemicals.
- Claw Hammer: An essential for driving or removing nails. A 16-ounce size is versatile for most tasks.
- Screwdriver Set: Have both small and large flathead and Phillips-head screwdrivers on hand. Manual versions offer better control and reach.
- Wire Cutters: Designed for cutting wires and small nails. Opt for the side-cutting style for convenience.
- Respirator/Safety Mask: Protect against inhalation of toxic chemicals or fine particles. Opt for disposable masks or full/half-face respirators based on the task.
- Duct Tape: Renowned for its strength and stickiness, it’s a must-have for temporary fixes and emergency repairs.
Equip yourself with these tools to be well-prepared for typical household challenges.